Thursday, September 9, 2010

9-11

911 is an emergency call, a call for help in distress. To me. that is part of what 9-11-01 was about.

Afghanistan was in distress, Israel-Palestine was in distress. People of the Muslims faith, especially extremists, were in distress. There was hurt and there was pain.

I deplored the response of my country. All out war was not the answer.

I believed that 9-11 was a wake-up call for the United States of America to change its ways in the world, to change its ways of doing its foreign policy business. 9-11 was blowback for our building up of the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan and the Taliban, too, and for our ungainly, overarching support of Israel against the Palestinian people who had lived in the Land for centuries.

For me. 9-11 was my own wake-up call. It was a call to learn of another faith, Islam, and to learn of and  involve myself in foreign policy. I have since learned about other faiths and I have devoted myself to working against war and for world peace.

I have always believed in the Golden Rule--treating others as they would wish to be treated--and I now believe that even foreign policy should be built on that rule. This is maybe wishful thinking, but it is not stupid thinking. I am convinced that the Golden Rule actually works. People respond as to how they are treated.

In accordance with the Golden Rule which is  held by all faiths and in opposition to the Islamaphobia that seems to be pervading this country and the ensuing acts engendered by it, I continue and especially at this time urge folks to sign the Charter for Compassion and to support it.

The Peace Advocate has been a supporter of the Charter and even has a separate page devoted to it. Please go to the tab at the top, learn about it, and sign on.

On this 9-11, there are people in this country who are in distress, too. May the Charter for Compassion be in effect.

2 comments:

  1. Ann,
    You have said it all. I cannot understand how some say "violence deserves violence." I am surprised Americans are not marching in the streets, demanding the end of the unjust wars. We reacted very poorly and it has to be the cause of more outrage against the US. Keep speaking out - perhaps it will plant a seed that keeps growing and growing.

    Mary S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary. I believe very strongly in seed planting. Those of us who do feel this way must do whatever we can. Peace.

    ReplyDelete